A release is defined as a release from prison where the prisoner has finished serving the custodial term of their sentence(s) and excludes:
- civil non-criminal prisoners;
- persons committed to custody for non-payment of a fine;
- releases to hospital;
- deported prisoners from HMPPS operated Immigration Removal Centres (IRCs); and
- releases following recall after release on licence, except occasions:
- where the offender has committed a new offence and is committed to custody for a new sentence and the subsequent release date falls after the sentence expiry date of the original sentence; or
- where upon release the offender is subject to the licence condition of the new custodial sentence.
The data source for this measure is offender management statistics quarterly.
- Data is not always available for, or applicable to, every prison; and the list of prisons will vary year on year due to closures and newly opened establishments;
- Prison functions (Male Local etc.) refer to the function of the prison in the most recent year shown. The function of a prison may have been different in previous years;
- A small number of prisons which are listed separately in the above table are physically co-located and cannot be distinguished on the map;
- Contains OS data © Crown copyright and database right 2021;
- Contains Royal Mail data © Royal Mail copyright and database right 2021;
- The markers on the map are indicative only. For further information on a prison, or for details of a prison's location, please consult the Ministry of Justice prison finder.