Total number of prisoners at a specific point in time each year.
The prison population at 30 September 2019 was 83,810.
Population - IPP
Indeterminate Sentence for Public Protection.
|Year||Population - IPP|
The number of unreleased IPP prisoners at 30 September 2019 was 2,223.
Population - life sentence
Life sentences (all variations).
|Year||Population - life sentence|
The number of unreleased life sentence prisoners at 30 September 2019 was 7,046.
A first reception is a measure which counts a prisoner's first movement into custody following a court hearing for a particular set of offences committed, and therefore gives the best indication of the number of new prisoners in the reporting period.
|Year||First receptions (quarterly)|
Apr-Jun 2019 18,370
A release is defined as a release from prison where the prisoner has finished serving the custodial term of their sentence(s) and excludes:
- civil non-criminal prisoners;
- persons committed to custody for non-payment of a fine;
- releases to hospital;
- deported prisoners from HMPPS operated Immigration Removal Centres (IRCs); and
- releases following recall after release on licence, except occasions:
- where the offender has committed a new offence and is committed to custody for a new sentence and the subsequent release date falls after the sentence expiry date of the original sentence; or
- where upon release the offender is subject to the licence condition of the new custodial sentence.
Apr-Jun 2019 15,708