Annual prison performance ratings
Prison level performance is monitored and measured using the Prison Performance Tool (PPT). The PPT uses a data-driven assessment of performance in each prison to derive overall prison performance ratings. As in previous years, data-driven ratings were ratified and subject to in depth scrutiny at the moderation process which took place in June 2019.
In the PPT, overall performance in each prison is rated on a 1 to 4 scale. The ratings are 4: Performance is exceptional; 3: Performance is acceptable; 2: Performance is of concern and 1: Performance is of serious concern. Note, this is a slight change from the rating definitions used in the Custodial Performance Tool in 2017/18. More information is available here.
The data source for this measure is prison performance ratings (annual).
|Annual prison performance ratings||Count|
|2: Of concern||28|
|1: Of serious concern||16|
- Data is not always available for, or applicable to, every prison; and the list of prisons will vary year on year due to closures and newly opened establishments;
- Prison functions (Male Local etc.) refer to the function of the prison in the most recent year shown. The function of a prison may have been different in previous years;
- A small number of prisons which are listed separately in the above table are physically co-located and cannot be distinguished on the map;
- Contains OS data © Crown copyright and database right 2019;
- Contains Royal Mail data © Royal Mail copyright and database right 2019;
- The markers on the map are indicative only. For further information on a prison, or for details of a prison's location, please consult the Ministry of Justice prison finder.