Annual prison performance ratings
Prison level performance is monitored and measured using the Prison Performance Tool (PPT). In 2021/22 this provided a data-informed assessment of performance in each prison to derive overall prison performance ratings. As part of the end of year moderation process, each prison's data-informed provisional rating was scrutinised by HMPPS officials against wider evidence, including data on how COVID-19 had impacted each site, to agree final ratings.
In the PPT, overall performance is rated as either Performance is acceptable or Performance is of concern.
The data source for this measure is prison performance ratings (annual).
- Data is not always available for, or applicable to, every prison; and the list of prisons will vary year on year due to closures and newly opened establishments;
- Prison functions (Male Local etc.) refer to the function of the prison in the most recent year shown. The function of a prison may have been different in previous years;
- A small number of prisons which are listed separately in the above table are physically co-located and cannot be distinguished on the map;
- Contains OS data © Crown copyright and database right 2022;
- Contains Royal Mail data © Royal Mail copyright and database right 2022;
- The markers on the map are indicative only. For further information on a prison, or for details of a prison's location, please consult the Ministry of Justice prison finder.