An internal audit that assesses, on a four point scale, the level to which effective security procedures are adhered to within each prison.
There is no structured frequency for how often the security audit takes place, with the exception of long term high security prison establishments which are audited annually. The data presented here shows the most recent assessment for each prison establishment.
The summary percentage is based on audits published internally by HMPPS. The annual prison performance ratings publication includes audits which had not been published when it was released and were therefore suppressed from the data tables. Including these suppressed scores, the overall percentage of prisons scoring a 3 or 4 is 85.7%
The data source for this measure is prison performance ratings (annual).
- Data is not always available for, or applicable to, every prison; and the list of prisons will vary year on year due to closures and newly opened establishments;
- Prison functions (Male Local etc.) refer to the function of the prison in the most recent year shown. The function of a prison may have been different in previous years;
- A small number of prisons which are listed separately in the above table are physically co-located and cannot be distinguished on the map;
- Contains OS data © Crown copyright and database right 2022;
- Contains Royal Mail data © Royal Mail copyright and database right 2022;
- The markers on the map are indicative only. For further information on a prison, or for details of a prison's location, please consult the Ministry of Justice prison finder.