Staff in post (prisons)
The chart shows Band 3-5 prison officer staff (full time equivalent) for public sector prisons at the end of each financial year. The detail view shows the financial year average for all staff.
For further context and commentary, please see the HMPPS Workforce Statistics Bulletin
The data source for this measure is HM prison and probation service workforce quarterly.
|Year||Staff in post (prisons)|
- Data is not always available for, or applicable to, every prison; and the list of prisons will vary year on year due to closures and newly opened establishments;
- Prison functions (Male Local etc.) refer to the function of the prison in the most recent year shown. The function of a prison may have been different in previous years;
- A small number of prisons which are listed separately in the above table are physically co-located and cannot be distinguished on the map;
- Contains OS data © Crown copyright and database right 2019;
- Contains Royal Mail data © Royal Mail copyright and database right 2019;
- The markers on the map are indicative only. For further information on a prison, or for details of a prison's location, please consult the Ministry of Justice prison finder.